- denoting a deposit or formation that originated at a distance from its present position;
- not formed in the region where found;
- buried or found in a place remote from the site of formation;
- originating in a place other than where it is found;
use : geology.
origin : Ancient Greek ἄλλος (állos, “other”) + χθών (khthṓn, “earth, ground”)
- However, this does not prove that the Moine rocks necessarily constitute an allochthonous terrane in the North American sense.
- Although some skeletal remains are evidently allochthonous, other remains are probably parautochthonous.
- The fossils of the westernmost exposures of the Hoko River Formation are allochthonous, preserved in reworked concretions within conglomerates that were deposited as part of a submarine fan system during late Eocene time.
Did you find the word interesting? Yes!
Share it with your friends and give them a chance to learn something new..