- persons who have superior knowledge and understanding of a particular field, especially in the fine arts, literature, and world of fashion;
- people who are especially well informed about a particular subject;
- someone possessing superior or specialized knowledge in a particular field;
use : plural noun.
origin : Obsolete Italian cognoscente (now conoscente) from Latin cognoscere “to know”.
- The fashion cognoscenti and music lovers were out in force last night for two great parties.
- His fledgling fashion cognoscenti have accessorised the theme with, among other things, suspenders and pink, fluffy rabbit ears.
- His imitations of Anacreon, and the soft bard of Erin, have on many occasions puzzled the cognoscenti of Eton.
Did you find the word interesting? Yes!
Share it with your friends and give them a chance to learn something new..