- an ancient musical instrument, similar to a dulcimer or a zither, and played by plucking the strings with the fingers or a plectrum;
- (initial capital letter) the Psalter;
- an ancient and medieval musical instrument like a dulcimer but played by plucking the strings with the fingers or a plectrum;
use : old word not much in use now.
origin : Middle English sautrie, from Old French sauterie, from Latin psalterium.
- Some of the Jaufre Rudel pieces are unaccompanied too, but even those in which the psaltery or harp make an appearance use these instruments most sparingly.
- Praise him with the sound of the trumpet; praise him with the psaltery and harp.
- She took the pitch from certain notes which she had written down, and which she struck on Mr. Dolmetsch’s psaltery.
Did you find the word interesting? Yes!
Share it with your friends and give them a chance to learn something new..