- a sudden reversal of fortune or change in circumstances, especially in reference to fictional narrative;
- a sudden turn of events or an unexpected reversal, especially in a literary work;
- a sudden change of events or reversal of circumstances, especially in a literary work;
- (psychoanalysis) A turning point in psychosocial development.
- a sudden reversal of fortune as a plot point in Classical tragedy; hence, any sudden change in circumstances; a crisis.
use : formal; literary; psychoanalysis.
origin : 1615-25; < Latin indubitābilis.
- But the music itself coursed with the language and logic of the underdog peripeteia at the last-second buzzer.
- The peripeteias of the drama.
- It also stresses the revenger’s isolation from the world and the peripeteia of his actions which always lead to his own destruction.
- We were instructed that life, like Greek plays, features peripeteia, or reversals of fortune.
Did you find the word interesting? Yes!
Share it with your friends and give them a chance to learn something new..